Life is short

An acquaintance of mine died this week.  He suffered a massive heart attack and was on life support for several days.  He died quickly after they took him off. He was 60.

Life is short.  You never know if your next breath will be your last breath.  You can either look at this as something to fear or as an opportunity. I prefer opportunity. 

If you live each day as if it is your last, you are more likely to live it with intention.  If you knew that you weren't going to be here tomorrow, what would you really focus on today?  Whatever that is, do it. 

I didn't know my friend as well as I would have liked.  We talked occasionally at church and football games, but I never really got the chance to spend a lot of time with him.  Looking back at the comments on social media, he impacted a lot of lives.  At least one person said he was a like a father to him.  I know from the conversations I had with him that he was a follower of Jesus Christ.  Knowing that he is home now makes the loss more bearable. Knowing that his example impacted others gives his life more meaning.

When I'm gone, I want my life to matter.  Otherwise, it has been a massive waste of time. It makes no difference if my impact is in big or small ways.  Both are important.  I just want my life to matter.  To do that, I choose to live each day with intention, looking to God for direction and to people for opportunity to serve. 

Life is short.  Therefore, I want this short life to be of the greatest value possible.

Comments

Popular Posts