Reflections on half a century

Today, I reached the half century mark.  That's right, I'm officially 50 years old.  That doesn't even sound right.  I certainly don't feel 50.  Hopefully, I don't look like I've been around that long either.  But, like it or not, here I am.

As I was driving to work this morning, I started to ask the question that I'm sure many others have asked before me.  Why am I not further along than this?  It is a hard question to think about and requires some real reflection.  But, before I start to beat myself up, I really need to look at what has been accomplished, not what hasn't.  So, in a nutshell, over the last 50 years, I've:

* worked as a retail salesman, construction worker, radio DJ, newspaper reporter, restaurant manager, safety engineer, youth minister, project coordinator, teacher, and school administrator, to name a few areas.

* visited 10 different countries:  Mexico, Zimbabwe, Comoros, Great Britain, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Israel and the West Bank.

* lived and worked internationally.

* earned three college degrees (Associates, Bachelors, and Masters)

* earned each of these degrees with no debt

* started following Jesus Christ at the age of 23 and led many others to do the same

* married the most beautiful, kind, loving woman on the planet (see Twenty Amazing Years)

* raised a son (to age 13, so far)

*  been ordained as a deacon in the church

* bought a house

* had more pleasurable moments than one man deserves

In that 50 years, I've also:

* made numerous mistakes (none of which killed me, I'm glad to say)

* been homeless and lived in my car as well as the YMCA (I used to hum the song every day as I walked to my dorm room)

* overcome several addictions (or at least I work on them day by day)

* held my father's hand as he passed from this world to the next (see Tribute to my father)

* made numerous friends (and probably a few enemies)

* learned more than one man deserves.

So, looking back, it's been a pretty good life so far.  Better than I deserve, anyway.  Now, though, I get the chance to look ahead and realize that, while the last 50 years have been good, I can't wait to see what the next 50 brings.

Comments

Popular Posts