What I have (lesson from Ephesians 1-3)

Over the past few weeks, I've been doing a study of the book of Ephesians using the inductive study method developed by Kay Arthur and Precept Ministries.  This type of study is not a quick, nor easy way to study Scripture.  It is time consuming and requires a lot of work. But, it is worth every minute. So far, I've read the first three chapters of Ephesians at least 15 times and each time I learn something new about either God, myself, or other believers.  In this post, I plan to share a few of the things the Bible tells me I have in God from these chapters of Ephesians.  Now, if I can just go through each day remembering each of these and living as a person who has these gifts from the Almighty.  

Before I start, though, let me preface that each of these is based on my relationship with God through Jesus Christ.  Apart from Christ, I would have none of them In addition, each of these is for the person who has responded to God's invitation to follow Him through their belief and trust in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

1) I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (1:3)
2) God chose me from the beginning of the world (1:4)
3) I will stand before Him holy and blameless (1:4) - I can't say that I am now!!
4) I've been adopted as His son through Jesus Christ (1:5)
5) I am covered by His grace; He has literally lavished it on me (1:6, 8)
6) I have been redeemed (bought back) through the blood sacrifice of Jesus (1:7)
7) My sins are forgiven (1:7) - This always amazes me!!
8) God has allowed me to know the mystery of His will (1:9)
9) I have an inheritance in His kingdom (1:11)
10) My salvation and inheritance are sealed by His Holy Spirit (1:13-14)
11) Even though I was dead in my sin, He made me alive in Christ (2:5)
12) He seated me with Christ in the heavenly places (2:6) - Literally, He has given me spiritual power. 
13)  My life serves as an example of His grace (2:7)
14)  I was created in Christ to do good works (2:10)
15) I have been brought near to God; in fact, I have access to God through His Holy Spirit (2:13, 18) - I can talk with the Creator of the universe and know that He is listening.  Wow!!!!
16) I have been made part of a greater community (2:21)
17) I am an heir of God through Jesus Christ (3:6)
18) I am part of God's eternal plan (3:11)

Let me say very clearly that, although the word "I" is used a lot in the examples above, none of these is a result of anything I've done.  It is all due to God's grace.  "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Comments

Popular Posts