Devotional-Blessings: Psalm 119:1-8

This post is actually the devotional I plan to give at my next deacon's meeting.  It just seems that it would be easier to write it here and then print it out.

For the past few weeks, I've been reading the Psalms.  If you haven't read this book recently, I highly recommend it.  There is so much about God and His sovereignty as well as human angst. It is a great look at what it means to follow God and be human at the same time.

Several days ago, I started Psalm 119 and sort of camped out there.  Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm at 176 verses and each section starts with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.  Most of this psalm is focused on God's law and its impact on His followers. Today, we're going to look at verses 1-8 and its definition of what it means to be blessed.

How blessed are those whose way is [a]blameless, (full of integrity)
Who walk in the law of the Lord.

2 How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.

3 They also do no unrighteousness;
They walk in His ways.

4 You have [b]ordained Your precepts,
[c]That we should keep them diligently.

5 Oh that my ways may be established
To keep Your statutes!

6 Then I shall not be ashamed
When I look [d]upon all Your commandments.

7 I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments.

8 I shall keep Your statutes;
Do not forsake me utterly!

What does it mean to be "blessed?"  The world has one definition, but I see a different definition here.  As leaders who are examples to others, we need to model this type of blessing.

Blessed people:
1) Have integrity (way is blameless) - Integrity has the same root as the math term "integer."  An integer is a whole number.  To have integrity simply means that what you see on the outside is the same as what is one the inside.  (No discrepancies)

2) Walk in the way of the LORD - lives follow God's paths as laid out in Scripture

3) Observe His testimonies -follow what God has said in His word, the 
Bible

4) Seek God with all their heart - I love that term "with all their heart."  To be blessed, we seek God with every bit of our being (This is a lot harder than it seems)

5) Do no unrighteousness - This doesn't mean "no sin" as that would be impossible.  But the blessed person focuses on living a life of righteousness

6) Walk in the way (path) of the Lord - God has given His word so that I (we) can obey it.  The Bible tells us how to live a holy life.

7) Seek and keep God's word so they will not be ashamed (when they look at God's commands)- Have you ever been reading the Bible and realized that something you were doing was opposite of Scripture?  That brings a sense of shame, but also a desire to make it right again.

8) Give thanks to God as they learn and keep His word - We should be thankful when God reveals His truth to us and we live by it. 

What I see from these verses:  Blessings don't necessarily mean that one has to be wealthy, famous, or even happy by the world's standards.  Blessings are not necessarily derived from that which comes from outside of us, but allowing God to work within us. Blessings come from seeking and serving the LORD with integrity, living according to His word, and allowing Him to mold us into His image.  Therefore, I can be blessed in any situation: Prosperity or poverty, health or pain, freedom or persecution.  So my question for you:  Based on Psalm 119, are you blessed?  If not, what do you need to do to change that? 



Comments

Popular Posts