You listen to that?

"You don't look like the kind of person who would listen to that."  Looking up, I see me son has come outside where I'm replacing tail lights on my wife's car.  "What?" I asked.  Pointing to my iPhone, he repeats, "You don't look like the kind of person who would listen to music like that." Maybe he's right, I'm thinking, as I start rapping along with Andy Mineo.  Most people my age, at least those that I know, don't listen to rap, much less a blend of metalcore, new wave, roots, bluegrass, old school rock, and outlaw country, among other things.

For most of my life, I've been a lover of music, especially music that is original and speaks to the heart or at least tells a good story.  This love has led me through many musical phases, all of which still have a place in my heart (and now my iPhone, thanks to Apple Music).  Two types of music I said I wouldn't listen to were rap and metal.  Then, two years ago, I went to the Rock the Desert music festival.  This festival featured bands and artists from every genre imaginable. It was there that I heard my first metalcore and actually liked it.  I was also introduced to rappers who spoke the truth without the explicit language often associated with that genre, all the while never compromising their craft.

Often times, after the students have all gone home, I'll sit in my office and play Pandora or my Apple Music library while finishing paperwork for the day.  Teachers will come in and give me strange looks as they hear the music coming from behind my desk.  I just turn it down, focus on the conversation, and then turn it back on when they leave.  They've gotten used to me by now.

While my iPhone is my main source of music, what I truly love are live shows.  To hear an artist or group play live gives you a look at their craft and often into the artists themselves  It is easy to pick out those that are just playing their set and those that are really trying to connect with the audience.  Watching a band play and have fun doing it is one of life's more enjoyable moments.

To finish this post, I'm including links to a few of the artists that I enjoy. Hope you do too.

The Carter Family
For Today



The Trishas

Shawn McDonald
Bobbie Gentry
Family Force 5
Robert Earl Keen

War of Ages

Comments

Popular Posts