Outdoors

I got up at 2:30 am this morning to go duck hunting.  My son and I drove an hour and half and then walked another mile or so to the pond where we hunt.  After putting out decoys, we then spent another hour just sitting, waiting for shooting time.  It is this little span of time between arrival and shooting light that I love.  I think this is why I duck hunt.

For those who don't know, duck hunting is normally an early morning sport.  Typically, ducks will start flying about 40 minutes before sunrise and often settle down around 10 am.  This is always the case, but it has been my experience most of the time.  Getting to the hunting spot and getting set up before first light is imperative if you plan on getting the early morning birds.  Which leads me back to my original point.

In that hour after set up, but before hunting light, God's creation comes alive.  The stars are out. Shooting stars occasionally cross the sky.  Coyotes are howling in the distance and often, unknown animals can be heard nearby.  This morning, it sounded like someone threw a rock into the pond several times.  Then, at 3 minutes before shooting light, a crane came down and landed about five foot away from me.  It didn't notice me for about 30 seconds before it took off again.  All of this reminds me of how blessed I am and how wonderful nature is.  It also reminds me that I am just a visitor in this natural world.

This morning, we only got one duck, but the whole morning, early rising, long drive, and all were worth it.  No amount of money can ever take the place of outdoor time with just nature and you.


Comments

Popular Posts